Thursday, December 25, 2008

When I started with Open Source

Well it's not unobvious that I always wanted to do Programming and thats why I took Comp.Sc. as a course to start with.

First thing that was on my mind was to learn Linux/Unix and during my first year i was fully dedicated to learning it at any cost, whatever it took!!!

I got some books( out of nowhere ) on Red Hat Linux and read them to get an introductory feel... what I realized during all this was:

It's not tough to "learn linux/unix" but it's tough to "unlearn windows"!

Well I started off with the all familiar Bash Shell and then did a Online Scripting Course, that too on Bash.

To test my skills i participated in a simple project hosted by our College Senior aimed at writing a script for customizing and installing softwares on Debian( Ubuntu ) working internally. FYI, we already have a debian( binaries, as i am informed ) mirror in place and gives us 10mbps speed.

And bang there is where i came to actually reading a project code, finding the fallacies and henceforth my first one-to-one correspondence with Open Source. Though it was short lived I came to learn about the basic development tools/stuff like:

code.google.com/p/ repositories
SVN/CVS version control softwares

Well it helped me a lot to clear some doubts which generally dont have a starter's introduction, but as I said there's a difference b/w "interesting" and "interested" ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment